Certificate III in Health Services Assistance – VETDSS
Become a Qualified Health Services Assistant
Mayfield offers this accredited course to train students to provide assistance to healthcare professionals with patient/client care.
Take this course as part of your VCE/VCAL program. Hurry! Feb 24 applications are now open!
Certification III in Health Services Assistance (HLT33115)
Direct Delivery at school
Onsite Delivery at Mayfield Education in Hawthorn East
1 day/week during the term (usually Wednesday afternoons)
Certificate III in Health Services Assistance
Mayfield offers the HLT33115 Certificate III in Health Services, a nationally recognised accredited course to the Vocation Education Training (VET) delivered to secondary students (VETDSS). This qualification will train students to provide assistance to healthcare professionals with patient/client care. During this course, the student will gain knowledge and skills for transporting patients, preparing, and maintaining beds, infection control prevention, basic medical terminology, and workplace health and safety. This course will teach you how to support the care needs of clients in a range of settings and be trained to work effectively and compassionately with a broad spectrum of clients from all walks of life.
- To study a VETDSS course students must have completed Year 10 English and Mathematics.
- This is a scored VCE CET program.
- This program may be run at your school, combined with another school or on campus at Mayfield Education in Hawthorn East.
- This program runs for 2 school years whilst you are undertaking your other year 11 and 12 subjects.
- Mayfield Education will provide advice on your structured workplace learning SWL requirements.
Certificate III in Health Services Assistance
To do this course, students must be enrolled as a VCE or VCE (VM) student.
Prior to enrolment, students will be required to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment.
Please talk with either your year-level coordinator, your VET in school’s co-ordinator or your school’s careers advisor. They can contact us on your behalf.
Information sessions are run in person at your school and/or online.
To obtain the full Certificate III in Health Services Assistance – HLT33115, students must satisfactorily complete a total of fifteen (15) units of competency. The course is made up of seven (7) core units and eight (8) elective units. To complete Full qualification student must complete the 40 hours of work placement. This will need to be organised by the school and supported by Mayfield Education.
Scored units are available for year 2 (scored Units 3 and 4 sequence) VCE VET Health program.
Unit 1 & 2 (Year 1 Units)
- CHCDIV001- C – Work with diverse people
- CHCCOM005- C – Communicate and work in health or community services
- HLTINF006- C – Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
- HLTWHS001- C – Participate in workplace health and safety
- BSBWOR301- C – Organise personal work priorities and development
- CHCCCS020-E – Respond effectively to behaviours of concern
- CHCCCS002- E – Assist with movement
- CHCCCS012-E – Prepare and maintain beds
- CHCCS026-E – Transport Individuals
- HLTHSS009-E – Perform General Cleaning Tasks in a clinical setting
- HLTHSS007-E – Handle medical gasses safely
- HLTAID009-E – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
*Unit 3 & 4- Year 2 Proposed units (subject to Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCCA) approval)
- BSBMED301-C – Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- HLTAAP001-C – Recognised healthy body systems
- HLTHPS001 -E – Take clinical measurements
The classes and workshops are run 1 day a week during the school term (usually Wednesday afternoons for onsite delivery and direct delivery).
The course takes 2 years to complete.
On some days you will also be attending excursions and undertaking SWL (structured workplace learning). This is practical experience in a real healthcare setting. This is organised by your school in collaboration with Mayfield Education.
Location of Delivery
This course can be run in three different configurations:
- Direct Delivery at school.
- Auspice Delivery
- Onsite Delivery (IMVC) at Mayfield Education in Hawthorn East.
The dates of the program conform with school terms.
Students are assessed against specific performance criteria for each unit of study. At Mayfield Education, we have engaging ways of learning and assessment which includes journal writing, case studies, group presentation, assignments, role play, online learning, self-paced learning packages, short answer, and multi-choice questions.
This course is a nationally recognised certificate. Upon completion of the full qualification, Mayfield Education will award you with HLT33115 CERTIFICATE III IN HEALTH SERVICES ASSISTANCE
If it is a partial completion, a Statement of Attainment will be issued for any units where competency has been attained.
HLT47515 – CERTIFICATE IV in OPERATING THEATER TECHNICAL SUPPORT
HLT47015 CERTIFICATE IV IN STERILISATION SERVICES
HLT54121 DIPLOMA OF NURSING
For VET Delivered to Secondary Students Contact your school to discuss fees.
*Year 2 Units 3 & 4 are proposed units and are subject to Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCCA) approval
These are the requirements for completing the VETDSS application:
- Online application must be completed in the presence of the parents/guardian. The signature of the Parent/guardian is mandatory.
- Email address for the School VET coordinator and/or Principal is mandatory.
- Upload scanned copies of 2 forms of ID’s. Choose from the following: Birth Certificate, Australian Passport, Evidence of Australian Citizenship, and Medicare card.
If you have any questions during the enrolement process, please get in contact with us.
|Course Name and State Date||Applications Open||Applications Close|
|CERTIFICATE III in HSA/ Auspce Year 1 commencement date Feb 2024||09/11/2023||17/02/2024|
|CERTIFICATE III in HSA/ Direct Entry Year 1 commencement date Feb 2024||09/11/2023||17/02/2024|
|CERTIFICATE III in HSA/ IMVC Year 1 commencement date Feb 2024||09/11/2023||16/02/2024|